The 8 Points
The curriculum used at our Newtown preschool provides students with a broad range of subject matter. What follows is a list of the 8 points and some lessons we use to teach them.
- Story making (imaginative storytelling, drama based plot study)
- Tracing and Writing
- Letter recognition
- Letter sounds
- Sight reading common vowel words
- Writing own name
- Sharing favorite books
- Listing words beginning and ending with common letters
- Rhyming words
- Adding and Subtracting
- Sorting higher/lower numbers and patterning
- Even and odd numbers
- Coin study – values (penny, nickel, dime, quarter), how to make purchases using Value Number concepts
- Meteorology (weather “make it rain” experiment, discussion of cloud types, rain, temperature)
- Biology basics including hands on investigation and experimentation (example: dissecting a frog)
- Basic gross anatomy including musculature, skeletal, and digestive issues, Physical characteristics and human traits
- Basic astronomy (discussion of planets, dwarf planets, meteorites, comets, asteroids)
- Chemistry (Chromatography, make ocean waves, oil and vinegar experiment
- Physics (magical egg drop – a favorite, rain in a bottle)
- Oceanography (study of wave terminology-“Just Ask” Book, making ocean waves)
- I pads
- Group activities, team work, sharing, turn-taking, friendship, social inclusion
- Manners are discussed, practiced and reinforced daily
- Sharing is practiced – individual play and group play are both encouraged
- Mannerly posture and verbiage is practiced
- Whole body listening is practiced
- Opportunities for “show and tell” and solo dancing/singing as a performer in
the middle of the circle for their classmates
6. Fine and Gross Motor Skill Development
- Finger projects (pencil/pen/crayon/paint brush/ scissor holding and practice)
- Art projects
- Athletics (ball play, running games, obstacle courses including hop scotch, stretching/flexibility, dance, red light-green light, freeze dance)
- Geography, children of the world, cultural comparisons introduction
- French and Spanish language including colors, greetings, common expressions and counting
8. Creative Expression
- Using instruments to learn beats and rhythms, tempos and timing
Helping Your Child Explore, Grow, & Learn
A young child’s mind is like a sponge with an incredible capacity to learn. Our program presents lessons to spark their interest so that they can be active learners at this special time in their lives!
Every day is an exciting new adventure for a student at our Newtown Preschool 8 Point Learning Program. Whether it’s walking barefoot in oobleck, learning a new song on the piano, caring for baby chicks, playing a harp, or visiting a farm, there is always a new subject to explore and opportunities to learn at our preschool program.
Our one-of-a-kind teachers make learning feel like play! Science is taught in a fun way with daily experiments. This is when we learn that science can often be a little messy!
All students learn together for the first part of our day during experiments, creative expression, language lessons and songs. Later the children break into stations with small groups based on age and ability. In these groups the teachers focus on fine motor skills, writing, math and more.
To learn more about our teachers CLICK HERE. We hope that you will visit us at 51 Walnut Avenue Newtown PA to learn more about the 8 Point Learning Program Preschool.
Our Newtown preschool has a student/teacher ratio of 4 to 1. This small ratio allows for individual attention that is sometimes needed for students to grasp new concepts and attain new skills. To see what parents think about their experience with the 8 Point Learning Program CLICK HERE
Our Newtown preschool is located in the heart of Newtown Borough but we also serve the nearby communities of Richboro, Yardley, Holland, Warrington, Langhorne, Upper Makefield, Lower Makefield, and more. At the 8 Point Learning Program Preschool you will find a commitment to excellence. Please view our parent testimonials to see what they had to say about the program!